Wednesday 8 February 2017

A Poem A Day 29


                    What They Said

When we said some words, in front of a minister, before God.
          They said our vows were holy, unbreakable.
                    I signed with my life.

When he exploded because I moved furniture in our newlywed apartment.
          They said things would get better.
                    I waited, on eggshells.

When he blamed me for something he had lost and yelled, and yelled, and yelled
           They said I should not have yelled back.
                    I took responsibility for the escalation.

When he soiled everything, did nothing, and my frustration boiled over
           They said I should respect him.
                    I could not, and felt a failure.

When the yelling and fighting and demanding became too much and I ran away
          They said our bond was sacred.
                    I went back to him.

When I did not want sex, and he pressured and bullied me
          They told me I needed to love him.
                    I drank numbness to satisfy him.

When his abuse became intolerable, and I left the house to escape
          They said our relationship needed help.
                    I kept going through the motions.

When, exhausted, with a newborn, I said no to sex and he railed all night, relentless
          They did not say anything
                    And I was too tired to even think of a response.

When I rang the police, to ask if they could stop the yelling
          They said if he was not hitting me, they could do little.
                    I swallowed my pain.

When I ran to my family after yet another argument
          They questioned my communication skills.
                    I continued struggling.

When I broke down in Church, begging God for help or relief
          They said I needed to believe more.
                    I prayed harder.

When he worked through our family holiday and we were without him
          We breathed freely, walked on solid earth
                    I found clarity.

When I finally walked away
          They questioned my motives.
                    I believed myself.




                    Kerry Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment

To comment
1. Select an account, if you have one, or choose Anonymous, from the drop down menu.
2. Write your comment,
3. Click PUBLISH and then WAIT.
4. Your comment will appear, and shortly after, you will be asked to tick and prove you're not a robot.
5.Once you've proved your humanity, click PUBLISH again, and your comment should appear below the post.